Wednesday 30 March 2011

Recommended Read: Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Back cover blurb:


Since that awful day, Laura Brandon's little girl hasn't uttered a word.  When a psychiatrist suggests that Emma won't talk because she's terrified of men, Laura is guilt-ridden. To help Emma, she needs to know what unspeakable secret lies behind her husband's suicide.


Laura thought her family was perfect, but her quest leads her to a shocking truth.  For her child's sake, should her father's sins be kept silent?

****




When I was out with my husband quite recently and picked up Diane Chamberlain's book, Breaking the Silence, I knew it was a good story but I didn't expect it to be exemplary.  OK, maybe I am not in the position to say it is exemplary, I am not a highly-acclaimed critique but I must say, I have read many books and this is highly commendable.  The moment I began turning the pages, I was hooked.  I couldn't stop.

Every chapter in the book is linked to the next.  It has multiple plots and impressively written. From Laura's pendant in the beginning of the story to her daughter's inability to talk.  Every single sentence is carefully woven, interlacing each of them into the next part.

I love the way this novel was written.  Definitely my cup of tea.  It is not overly wordy.  I like Diane's style.  I will definitely read more of her!

How about you? What are you currently reading? What books do you recommend?

Disclaimer:  I purchased the book, Breaking the Silence.  My review was in no way influenced by the author or the publisher.

11 comments:

Old Kitty said...

It sounds so sad - poor Emma!!! Thanks for the review and the info on this book!

Nice to see you!!! Take care
x

Jules said...

Sounds like a good read but currently I haven't had the time to read much. Except for blogs, which is always a pleasure :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Len .. that sounds like a 'good' read with a few nasty twists .. and your review that it's an exemplary book makes me add it to my TBR list .. the multiple plots .. seems to ring true with Stieg Larsson's Girl with a Dragon Tattoo .. that I'm finally reading .. certainly draws me ..

Thanks for the recommendation - Hilary

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like an interesting read filled with intrigue and love for her daughter. Thanks for reviewing this book, I hadn't hear of it before.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

India Drummond said...

Ooh, this does sound interesting. I've downloaded the sample chapter to my Kindle!

mary.anne.gruen@gmail.com said...

I'll have to check this book out! Thanks for the review! I've been sampling a lot of paranormal indie books for fun lately while doing some research on the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. I need to get back on track with my historical fiction.

Margo Benson said...

I'm hooked just by your review! It sounds deepand intriguing - definately on my TBR list, thank you.

Su said...

Wow, sounds like a good read! Thanks!

Ann said...

Your review has put this book on my list. At the moment I am reading Kathryn Brown of Crystal Jigsaw (blog) book, "Discovery at Rosehill." Enjoying the paranormal of it all.

Regina said...

It sounds like a wonderful story. I can't wait to read it. Thank you for putting it up on your sight.

Glynis Peters said...

Sounds like my kind of book! I have just read, Welcome to my World. Really enjoyed it-thank you. ;0 x